- This event has passed.
THE 2020 CHARLES VALENTINE RILEY MEMORIAL LECTURE
November 19 @ 1:30 pm - 3:00 pmFree
he American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), in partnership with The World Food Prize and The Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Foundation, is proud to announce the 2020 AAAS Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Lecture.
Rethinking American Agriculture: Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Food Production
Thursday, November 19th, 2020
1:30pm to 3:00pm EDT
Hosted virtually via Zoom
This year’s lecture will focus on the transformation of global food systems to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions and feature a keynote address by Dr. Evan H. DeLucia.
Dr. Evan H. DeLucia is the G. William Arends Professor of Biology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He was the founding director of the Program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and at different times has served as the head of the Department of Plant Biology, and the director of the School of Integrative Biology, the Institute for Sustainability, Energy and Environment, and the Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation.
Dr. DeLucia’s remarks will be followed by a Q&A session and a panel discussion moderated by Dr. Rattan Lal, the 2020 World Food Prize Laureate.
THE CHARLES VALENTINE RILEY MEMORIAL LECTURE SERIES
The annual Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Lecture was established to honor Charles Riley’s legacy and vision for enhancing agriculture through scientific knowledge. 2020 marks the 11th anniversary of the lecture. Over the years, distinguished lecturers have addressed the environmental and societal challenges facing our planet, looking through the lens of agricultural innovation in a global context.
Past lecturers include:
- Dr. Robert S. Ziegler, Director General Emeritus, International Rice Research Institute, Philippines
- Dr. Alison Van Eenennaam, Cooperative Extension Specialist, University of California, Davis
- Dr. Robert Fraley, then Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Monsanto
- Dr. Randy Woodson, Chancellor, North Carolina State University
- Dr. Steven Leath, then President, Iowa State University
- The Honorable Daniel Glickman, former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture
- Dr. Stephen P. Long, Gutgesell Endowed University Professor of Plant Biology and Crop Sciences, University of Illinois
- Dr. Robert Horsch, Deputy Director for Research & Development, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Dr. Pamela C. Ronald, Professor of Plant Pathology, University of California, Davis
- Dr. Roger Beachy, then Director, National Institute of Food and Agriculture
Please contact the AAAS Center for Scientific Evidence in Public Issues at email@example.com with any questions about this year’s lecture.
Register to attend the 2020 Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Lecture, here.