Risk Management Conference: Managing Weather and Resiliency on the Farm
Register Today, or fill out RMC Flyer and Registration Form!
Interested in becoming a sponsor? Fill out RMC Sponsor Form to claim your spot today!
Join the members of the Illinois Sustainable Ag Partnership for this state-wide Risk Management Conference on June 19th in Normal, Illinois. We’ll be bringing in farmers and their advisors to talk about soil health and water management from a risk management perspective through presentations, discussion panels, and interactive conversations about weather, production resiliency, economics, risk management, business drivers, and sustainability. Eric Snodgrass will be our master of ceremonies and Jerry Hatfield will be our keynote lunch speaker, followed by an afternoon bus tour of on-farm research projects.
Join us for this exciting schedule of events!
7am Registration begins, light breakfast and coffee served
8am Welcome – Travis Deppe, Nutrient Loss Reduction Manager, IL Corn; and Caroline Wade, Director of Agriculture, TNC
8:05am Master of Ceremonies – Eric Snodgrass, Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dept. of Atmospheric Studies, University of Illinois – Trends in Ag Weather Risk
8:35am Farmer Panel, moderator – Rod Weinzierl, Executive Director, Illinois Corn
- Philip Brown, Mclean County Farmer and Research Site Farmer
- Jason Lay, Mclean County Farmer, PCM and SHP Farmer
- Pete Pistorius, Macon County Farmer and Field Labs Farmer
- Eric Miller, Piatt County Farmer and Soil Health Training participant
9:20am Economics Panel, moderator – Jonathan Coppess, Clinical Assistant Professor, Ag and Consumer Economics, UIUC
- Gary Schnitkey, Professor, Ag and Consumer Economics, UIUC
- Elyssa McFarland, Key Relationships Director, Soil Health Partnership
- Laura Gentry, Director Precision Conservation Management
- Maggie Monast, Senior Manager of Agricultural Sustainability, EDF
10:25am Corporate Supply Chain Panel, moderator – Caroline Wade, TNC
- Allison Thomson, Science & Research Director, Field to Market
- Mary Tate, Sr. Manager, North America Responsible Sourcing, Kellogg
- Andy Knepp, Ag Environmental Business Development Lead, Monsanto
- Karl Barnhart, Chief Marketing Officer, Brandt
11:10am CCA/Retailer Panel, moderator – Lisa Martin, Executive Director, IL CCA
- Kris Reynolds, CCA, Associate Midwest Director, AFT
- Betsy Bower, Agronomist, Ceres Solutions Cooperative
- Ryan White, Director of Agronomy Marketing and Agronomy Services, Growmark
- Dan Schaefer, Director of Nutrient Stewardship, IFCA
11:55 Transition break
12:15pm Lunch and Keynote Speaker: Weather-proofing your crops and reducing your risk starts with the soil! Dr. Jerry L. Hatfield, Laboratory Director and Supervisory Plant Physiologist, National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment, USDA ARS
1:30pm Bus leaves (bus transportation provided by NREC) Hop on the bus for Q&A with our featured speakers, Eric Snodgrass and Dr. Jerry Hatfield, as we head off to tour Dr. Shalamar Armstrong’s Research Site near Lexington, IL
Research Field Day Schedule
2pm-4pm Dr. Shalamar Armstrong’s Research Site in Lexington
So, what does all of this mean on the farm? There will be 4 stations focused on concrete takeaways and for farmers and retailers.
- Research results and an update on the Cover Crop Decision Support Tool with Dr. Shalamar Armstrong, Assistant Professor of Soil Conservation and Management, Purdue University; and Jonathan Coppess, Clinical Assistant Professor, Ag and Consumer Economics, UIUC
- The data is in! How sustainable practices can provide resiliency and profitability on the farm with Chad Watts, Executive Director, CTIC ; and Laura Gentry, Director, Precision Conservation Management (PCM)
- Cover Crop Guide – Reducing the risk of transitioning to cover crops and incorporating nutrient management with Dan Schafer, Director of Nutrient Stewardship and Lowell Gentry, Principal Research Specialist in Agriculture, University of Illinois
- Managing for water flows and nutrients in a changing system with Dr. Jerry L. Hatfield, Laboratory Director and Supervisory Plant Physiologist, National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment, USDA ARS
4:10pm Bus leaves to return to the Marriott in Uptown Normal
The event is being held at the Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center in Uptown Normal, 201 Broadway Ave, Normal A block of rooms will be held at the Marriot for Monday, June 18th at a reduced rate of $114/night under the title “Risk Management Conference.” Reservations must be made by May 28th to receive the discount by calling (309) 862-9000 or book your group rate for Risk Management Conference online. Free parking will be available in the attached parking garage at 201 W Beaufort St, Normal.
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR SPONSORS FOR MAKING THIS POSSIBLE!
[table td1=”GOLD SPONSORS” td2=”BRONZE SPONSORS”] [td1]
Don’t forget to add #FarmSmart to all your social media postings!
Event Date & Time
June 19, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm UTC+0
Event LocationBloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center